You guys know that I love my healthy fat! That’s why I am so excited to share this new product alert! This plant-based oil is going to be the next staple in your kitchen and let me tell you why…
Thrive® Algae Oil is a culinary oil made from algae. It has the highest level of monounsaturated fat of any cooking oil and 75% less saturated fat than olive oil. This oil is a great option for sautéing, searing, baking, & more because of its high smoke point of up to 485 degrees! Plus, its light, neutral taste lets the fresh flavors of your food shine through. For this recipe, I used the oil for searing the salmon, sautéing the asparagus, and creating the pesto sauce! You can grab Thrive® Algae Oil on Amazon here! Or, for my Central Florida peeps, you can now find this oil at your local Earthfare Market.
Is it just me or does homemade pesto sauce taste 10x better than pesto from a store? I also notice I use less pesto sauce when I make it from scratch because the flavor is so rich that a little goes a long way!
If you’ve never made homemade pesto, you’re in for a real treat! It’s super easy to make and all you need is a few ingredients and a high speed blender or food processor to whip it up. For this traditional pesto, I used the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon, minced garlic, fresh basil leaves, pink sea salt, pine nuts, vegan “parmesan cheese”, and Thrive® Algae Oil.
Pesto makes a great compliment to any dish! I paired my homemade pesto with gluten free pasta, wild caught salmon, and sautéed asparagus for an easy and healthy summer meal. The lightness of the oil, fresh pesto, and warm salmon is a match made in heaven and will leave you wanting seconds!
To get started, pulse the pesto ingredients until it creates a creamy consistency, then set aside.
Next, cook your pasta. For this recipe, I used gluten free pasta but feel free to use whatever pasta you’d like! Once al dente, use a colander to strain the pasta from the water and then add the cooked pasta back into the pot, pour in pesto sauce and set aside.
Heat some Thrive® Algae Oil and minced garlic in a skillet over medium heat. After a few minutes, add your salmon filet to the pan, skin side down. Add a pinch of pink sea salt and pepper to taste and cook each side for about 3-4 minutes or until cooked through.
In another skillet, heat more oil over medium heat. Sauté chopped asparagus for 8-10 minutes, rotating every so often until lightly browned.
Once salmon is cooked through, flake it in the pan and toss the salmon flakes into the pot with the pasta. Throw in the cooked asparagus. Stir together and serve!
- Pesto Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup Thrive® Algae Oil
- 1 lemon squeezed
- ¼ teaspoon pink sea salt
- ½ cup parmesan cheese (I used a vegan alternative)
- Pasta Dish
- Pasta of your choice
- 1lb wild caught salmon filet
- Thrive® Algae Oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add all pesto ingredients into a high speed blender or food processor and pulse until it forms a creamy texture. You may need to use small spatula to scrape pesto from sides until fully blended
- Cook the pasta to al dente, strain from water and pour back into pot and stir in pesto sauce
- Meanwhile, heat 1 clove garlic and Thrive® Algae Oil in a skillet over medium heat. After a few minutes, add in salmon filet, cooking 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked
- In another pan, heat Thrive® Algae Oil over medium heat, add chopped asparagus and cook until lightly browned, about 8 minutes
- Flake cooked salmon and add salmon and asparagus to pot
- Stir together and serve
Thank you Thrive® Algae Oil for sponsoring this post!