Vegan Buffalo Mac & Cheese with Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
I made this recipe last year for a Super Bowl party we were attending and it was such a big hit! It was easily the most eaten dish at the table and it was the only vegan dish! So with the Super Bowl / Puppy Bowl only a few days away I thought I’d finally share this recipe with all of you!:)
I hope you enjoy this gluten-free & vegan recipe!
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites:
- 1 head of cauliflower washed & chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1-2 tbsp avocado oil
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 2 boxes of Banza Elbow Pasta
- Cheese Sauce:
- ½ cup cashews (soaked in hot water for at least 1 hour)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- Pre heat oven to 375 F. Wash and chop your head of cauliflower into bite size pieces. Add cauliflower to a mixing bowl and lightly coat in avocado oil. In a small bowl mix together almond flour, sea salt, garlic, & paprika. Dip pieces of cauliflower into the flour mix and coat evenly, adding more oil if necessary (it doesn't need to be a thick coat, just make sure the pieces have the flour seasoning on them.)
- Add cauliflower to a baking dish lined with parchment paper. Spread cauliflower bites evenly and bake for 25 minutes. At the 25 minute mark, take the bites out of the oven, toss, and drizzle add hot sauce on top, adding more avocado oil if needed. Bake for another 15 minutes, or until crispy.
- While the cauliflower bakes, make the pasta according to packaging, rinse and set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce, add the drained cashews, water, paprika, hot sauce, & nutritional yeast to a blender. Blend and taste as you go and add anymore seasoning if needed. Once the sauce is blended, pour into the now empty pasta pot and warm over low/medium heat until warm. Add macaroni to the sauce and stir until completely covered with sauce.
- Add warmed cheesy macaroni into a serving dish, mixing in cauliflower bites as you go. Leave a few pieces of the cauliflower to line the top with.